The Micro Finance Bank of Azerbaijan began its operations in Baku on October 29, 2002, and was re-branded in September 2008 as AccessBank. Bank has rapidly developed within a brief period and gained great achievements. The most important stages of development are specified below.
- AccessBank awarded “Bank of the Year” by The Banker (FT Group);
- AccessBank successfully launched its new Internet Banking service – “myAccess”;
- IFC providing $25 million subordinated loan to AccessBank;
- Fitch affirms AccessBank’s credit rating at investment grade level;
- AccessBank named Best Bank by Global Finance;
- AccessBank receives awards under 2 nominations of the AMCHAM CSR 2014 Excellence Award!;
- EFSE and AccessBank expand existing partnership to reach out to rural MSMEs in Azerbaijan.
- Fitch upgrades AccessBank to Investment Grade 'BBB-' Outlook Stable ;
- AccessBank attracts first loan from European Investment Bank provided in Azerbaijan ;
- AccessBank launches the system of granting loans by using information from electronic reference letter ;
- AccessBank attracts USD 15m for energy efficiency projects from The Green for Growth Fund ;
- AccessBank wins Euromoney`s “Best Bank in Azerbaijan” Award for Fifth Year in a Row ;
- AccessBank signs a USD 15m loan with BSTDB ;
- AccessBank attracts a USD 60m syndicated loan arranged by Raiffeisen Bank International AG;
- EFSE grants AccessBank in Azerbaijan a USD 15 million senior loan;
- Fitch affirms AccessBank’s rating at BB+; outlook stable;
- All AccessBank plastic cardholders receive credit due to the Bank’s new benefit;
- AccessBank wins Euromoney “Best Bank in Azerbaijan” Award for Fourth Year in a Row;
- AccessBank attracts a USD 60 million syndicated loan from an international consortium led by FMO;
- BSTDB and AccessBank sign a USD 15 Million Facility to Support Small Business Development in Azerbaijan;
- AccessBank supports AFFA in organizing the third Caspian Cup international football tournament for under-17;
- AccessBank is named as the Best Bank by Global Finance;
- AccessBank secures a USD 4.2 million energy efficiency loan from EBRD for new ‘green’ head office.
- The Banker names AccessBank as ‘The Bank of the Year in Azerbaijan’;
- Michael Hoffmann becames the new Chairman of the Management Board;
- Azerbaijan Celebrates International Savings’Day;
- AccessBank Celebrates its 10-Year Anniversary!;
- AccessBank launches credit cards;
- Euromoney recognizes AccessBank as the best bank in Azerbaijan;
- AccessBank’s deposit portfolio exceeds USD 200 mln;
- AccessBank signs a USD 15 mln loan with EBRD;
- AccessBank – offers to repay the loan by phone;
- AccessBank adjusts the shareholder structure;
- AccessBank Increases Capital;
- AccessBank Launches vehicle insurance;
- Fitch affirms AccessBank’s BB+ Rating;
- AccessBank opens its 30th Branch in Guba.
- Fitch reaffirms AccessBank’s ‘BB+ - Outlook stable’ rating – the highest in Azerbaijan’s financial sector;
- AccessBank wins Global Finance`s ‘Best Bank in Azerbaijan’ annual award;
- Euromoney names AccessBank as ‘Best Bank in Azerbaijan’ in its annual ‘Awards for Excellence’ for the second consecutive year;
- The Banker names AccessBank as ‘The Bank of the Year in Azerbaijan’ in its annual ‘Bank of the Year’ awards.
- BB+ rating confirmed by Fitch Ratings, with Individual Rating is increased to ‘D’ – the highest rating for private banks in Azerbaijan;
- Five new branches are opened, including three in the regions and two in Baku, and a building is purchased for the new Head Office;
- First dividend of AZN 5 million is distributed to shareholders. Deposits increase to 86% during the year and make up USD 152 million. This, combined with retained earnings covers the asset growth and reduces the dependence on foreign borrowings;
- Becomes a lead sponsor of the Azerbaijan Football Federations Association, (AFFA) which includes 11 men, women and junior national teams;
- AccessBank`s CEO is named as ‘Banker of the Year’ in Azeri Business Awards;
- The Bank is awarded ‘5 Diamonds’ by the Microfinance Information Exchange for transparency – the highest level available;
- The bank is the only bank in the Caucasus that receives the recognition from The Microfinance Centre (MFC) for good practice in client protection and avoidance of over-indebtedness;
- Euromoney names AccessBank as the Best Bank in Azerbaijan in annual ‘Awards for Excellence’;
- Standard & Poor’s rating agency rankes AccessBank as The Most Transparent Bank in Azerbaijan.
- AccessBank is recongnized as one of the three most sustainable banks of Eastern Europe in the 2009 Financial Times Sustainable Banking Awards;
- AccessBank, joins the ‘SMART’ Campaign for Client Protection, being the first bank in Azerbaijan in this.
- Micro Finance Bank of Azerbaijan is renamed to AccessBank in order to create a stronger and more distinct brand;
- BB+ rating is firstly received from Fitch Ratings – the highest rating of any private bank in Azerbaijan and matching the country ceiling;/li>
- New refinancing loans in the current year exceeds USD 80 million, including the second closing of AccessBank’s debut bond and the signing of the Bank’s first syndicated loan, arranged by EBRD;
- AccessBank’s Agroloan product is named ‘Best New Product’ by Azerbaijan Micro-finance Association;
- AccessBank joins the UN Global Compact – the first bank in Azerbaijan.
- AccessHolding joins as a new shareholder;
- Continuous introduction of new retail and ‘cross-sector’ products, including international trade-finance, Visa-branded debit cards, Salary Projects, and point-of-sale terminals;
- Dedicated Agro Loan product is launched;
- Alpha rating is obtained from M-CRIL specialist microfinance rating agency;
- New refinancing loans in the current year exceed USD 50 million including: the first closing of AccessBank’s debut bond – the first bond from an Azerbaijani issuer on international capital markets; the first AZN-denominated loan from an international private investor, SNS Institutional Microfinance Fund; and AccessBank’s first sub-ordinated loan, from Deutsche Bank.
- Retail business is developed with introduction of additional deposit and money transfer products, retail lending, debit cards, ATMs, and joining the Visa card network.
- Term deposit is launched and AccessBank joins the international SWIFT, Western Union and Privat Money money transfer networks;
- First non-shareholder refinancing loans are received from Global Microfinance Facility, Blue Orchard, Deutsche Bank, Incofin, and Triodos;
- First regional branch is opened in Ganja.
- Current accounts and money transfer systems are launched.
- First refinancing loan is received from EBRD (USD 5 million).
- The Bank is founded on 29 October as the Micro Finance Bank of Azerbaijan by Black Sea Trade & Development Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, International Finance Corporation, KfW and LFS Financial Systems.